Death toll continues to rise after Moscow terror attack

Published March 25, 2024 – By Editorial staff
The bloody terrorist attack has shaken Russian society.

By Sunday evening, the terrorist attack on the Crocus City Hall concert venue had claimed at least 137 lives, and a large number of victims remain hospitalized with critical or serious injuries.

Four men have been arrested for carrying out the bloody massacre - and another seven have been detained for links to the terrorist attack.

Friday's terrorist attack on a concert hall in Moscow has now claimed at least 137 lives, according to an update from Russian authorities. Meanwhile, the search for bodies continues in the building, which was destroyed by a fire set by the perpetrators.

A group of armed men stormed the venue in the evening during a concert by the rock band Picnic. Nearly 7,500 people were in the building when the terrorists first killed the guards and then opened fire on the crowd, using firebombs to start the fire that quickly spread through the building.

So far, only about 60 bodies have been positively identified - three of them children - and in addition to the dead, nearly 200 people were reportedly injured in the attack. Large amounts of ammunition and at least two automatic weapons left behind by the attackers as they fled were seized at the scene, and more weapons were found in the car in which the terrorists fled.

On Saturday, four of the perpetrators were arrested - along with seven other people suspected of being involved in the attack in various ways.

Foreign nationals

The arrested terrorists have been identified as Dalerdzhon Mirzoyev, 32 years old from Tajikistan; Saidakrami Rachabalizoda, age and place of residence unknown, but in need of an interpreter; Shamsidin Fariduni, 26 years old from Tajikistan; and Muhammadsober Faizov - possibly born in 2004 and registered in the city of Ivanovo, northeast of Moscow. All four are reportedly foreign nationals.

The Islamic State terrorist organization has officially claimed responsibility for the attack, but as the group has a history of claiming responsibility for acts committed by other groups, it is not yet clear who actually ordered the attack.

The four suspected terrorists. Montage. Photo: fasimil/X

The attack was the deadliest to hit Russia in over 20 years and has deeply shaken Russian society.

– Those responsible for the concert attack will be punished. The attack shows that terrorism is a significant threat to Russia, said Russian Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev.

Putin calls for unity

In an address to the nation, President Vladimir Putin said that "all four perpetrators, who were directly involved in the terrorist attack, all those who shot and killed people, have been found and apprehended. They attempted to escape and were heading towards Ukraine, where, according to preliminary information, a window was prepared for them on the Ukrainian side to cross the state border".

The focus now is on identifying and exposing their accomplices, those who provided the terrorists with transportation, planned escape routes and prepared weapons caches.

– However, it is already clear that we are confronted not simply with a carefully and cynically planned terrorist attack, but a premediated and organised mass murder of peaceful, defenceless people. The perpetrators cold-bloodedly and deliberately targeted our citizens, including our children, with the intent to kill them at close range, Putin continued, promising that all perpetrators, organisers and masterminds of this crime will face fair and inevitable punishment, whoever they may be and whoever directed them.

– Terrorists, murderers, those inhumane individuals who have no nationality and cannot have one, face one and the same gloomy prospect – retribution and oblivion. They have no future. Our common duty now, shared by our comrades–in-arms at the front and all citizens of our country, is to stand united as one. I am confident that we will, for nothing and no one can shake our unity and will, our determination and courage, the strength of the united people of Russia.

Putin also announced that a number of unspecified anti-terrorist and anti-sabotage measures had been introduced across Russia, and that more resources would be devoted to ensuring that such acts do not occur again.

Accusing Ukraine

Although no concrete evidence of Ukraine's involvement in the attack has yet been presented, Sergei Goncharov, a veteran of the Russian anti-terrorist unit "Alpha", believes that Kiev is likely directly responsible for the attack.

– What happened today was a terrible tragedy, and I think, a link in a chain. Therefore I think Ukraine will reject responsibility. Because nobody publicly approves of terrorist attacks. But in any case, at the moment I don’t see any factor that could take us away from the Ukrainian connection. It could have been some other organization, but I have no doubt that it was provoked by the Nazis of Ukraine, the retired intelligence officer said in an interview with Sputnik.

He adds that the Ukrainian intelligence service has publicly and repeatedly threatened to carry out attacks on Russian civilian targets - and says the terrorist threat from Kiev is very real and could include everything from shooters to arsonists and suicide bombers.

Ukraine itself denies any involvement in the terrorist attack - while France and several other countries have raised their terror alert to the highest level - precisely because of the bloody attack in Moscow.

TNT is truly independent!

We don’t have a billionaire owner, and our unique reader-funded model keeps us free from political or corporate influence. This means we can fearlessly report the facts and shine a light on the misdeeds of those in power.

Consider a donation to keep our independent journalism running…

Hong Kong in mourning after deadly fire claims at least 128 lives

Published yesterday 11:06 pm – By Editorial staff
The fire started during the renovation of seven high-rise buildings in the Tai Po district, near the border with mainland China.

Hong Kong is mourning the victims of its worst fire in nearly 80 years. At least 128 people have died in the blaze that ravaged a high-rise complex under renovation, but the death toll is expected to rise significantly. Eleven people have been arrested on suspicion of corruption and use of flammable materials, among other charges.

The rescue operation at the Wang Fuk Court complex in the Tai Po district, near the border with mainland China, concluded on Friday. However, police warn that more bodies may be found as they continue to search through the burned-out buildings in the coming weeks.

The number of missing persons has been revised down from 200 to 150 after some relatives managed to reunite with loved ones they had initially reported as missing.

Spread rapidly through the buildings

The fire started on Wednesday afternoon and spread rapidly through seven of the complex's eight 32-story buildings. The structures were clad in bamboo scaffolding with green mesh netting and foam insulation in preparation for renovation work.

Hong Kong's anti-corruption agency ICAC reports that three additional people have been arrested. The three, aged 52 to 68, were responsible for overseeing the contractor carrying out the renovation work at the complex. A total of 14 people have now been arrested in the investigation.

Authorities have confirmed that the fire alarms at Wang Fuk Court, which is home to over 4,600 people, were not functioning properly at the time of the fire.

Mainland China ordered a nationwide inspection of fire risks in high-rise buildings on Saturday, particularly residential buildings undergoing renovation.

Foreign workers among the victims

Among the victims are domestic helpers from Indonesia and the Philippines. Hong Kong has approximately 368,000 such workers, mainly women from low-income Asian countries who live with their employers, often in cramped conditions.

Indonesia has confirmed that seven of its citizens died in the fire. The Philippines reports that one citizen is critically injured and another is confirmed missing, while 28 are believed to reside in the area but cannot be located.

Worst fire since 1948

The fire is Hong Kong's deadliest since 1948, when 176 people died in a warehouse fire. The disaster has drawn comparisons to the Grenfell Tower fire in London in 2017, where 72 people died.

Residents of Wang Fuk Court were told by authorities last year that they faced "relatively low fire risks" after complaining about the fire hazard posed by the renovation, according to the city's Labour Department.

Residents raised their concerns in September 2024, including about the potential fire hazard of the protective green mesh netting that contractors used to cover the bamboo scaffolding.

Hong Kong's Buildings Department halted all work on Saturday at 28 projects managed by Prestige Construction, the company identified by the government as responsible for maintenance at Wang Fuk Court for over a year.

"Our deepest thoughts are with all those who have lost loved ones and with those now living in shock and uncertainty," said Britain's King Charles in a statement about the "terrible tragedy."

A spokesperson from China's national security office in Hong Kong said on Saturday that the office supports the city government in severely punishing anyone who uses the disaster to disrupt Hong Kong.

US Excludes South Africa from G20

Donald Trump's USA

Published November 27, 2025 – By Editorial staff
South Africa will not receive an invitation to the 2026 G20 meeting if Donald Trump gets his way.

US President Donald Trump announces that South Africa will not be invited to next year's G20 summit in Miami. The decision follows serious allegations of an ongoing genocide against South Africa's white minority.

Trump claims that systematic attacks and murders of white farmers in South Africa have occurred under the government's silence.

In a post on Truth Social, he writes: "They are killing white people, and randomly allowing their farms to be taken from them".

He directly links the allegations to his decision: "At my direction, South Africa will NOT be receiving an invitation to the 2026 G20, which will be hosted in the Great City of Miami, Florida next year".

Trump adds that the US will also stop all payments and subsidies to South Africa. He also criticizes American media, which he accuses of remaining silent about what he calls genocide.

Among others, the American president singles out The New York Times as particularly complicit through their silence.

Ramaphosa rejects the allegations

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa and other representatives strongly reject the picture of an ongoing genocide.

— That is not the government's policy, Ramaphosa said in May this year, when the issue of land seizures and violence against white farmers came up during a meeting with Trump at the White House.

Cyril Ramaphosa and Donald Trump during the spring meeting at the White House. Photo: screenshot/White House

Both politicians and courts in South Africa have consistently denied that there is a targeted genocide against white people in the country.

According to the president's spokesman Vincent Magwenya, Ramaphosa noted Trump's "regrettable statement" and rejected claims that South Africa does not deserve its place in the G20.

As a founding member of the G20, South Africa values consensus, collaboration and partnership, Magwenya explained.

The G20 group consists of 19 countries, the EU and the African Union. This year's summit in South Africa was conducted without the presence of high-ranking American representatives, after Trump refused to back down from his allegations.

Next year's G20 meeting will be held at Trump National Doral, the family company's golf resort outside Miami.

Russia producing weapons in volumes adversaries “couldn’t have dreamed of”

The war in Ukraine

Published November 26, 2025 – By Editorial staff
Sergei Chemezov is the head of Rostec, the Russian state-owned defense conglomerate.

Russia's defense industry is now manufacturing more artillery shells and aerial bombs than any other country in the world, according to Sergey Chemezov, head of the state-owned defense conglomerate Rostec. Production has increased dramatically since the conflict in Ukraine escalated in 2022.

In an interview with the news agency TASS, published on Tuesday, Chemezov outlines a significant escalation in weapons manufacturing, writes RT.

We are supplying aircraft, tanks, infantry vehicles, howitzers, electronic warfare systems, drones and much more in enormous quantities. No country in the world today produces as many shells and aerial bombs, he says.

Chemezov states that he cannot provide exact figures but notes that the production volumes are such that the country's adversaries "could not have dreamed of".

Production multiplied many times over

Russian officials have repeatedly highlighted the increased defense production over the past three years. In May 2024, President Vladimir Putin stated that ammunition manufacturing had increased fourteenfold since the military operation began, while drone production had quadrupled and the production of armored vehicles increased 3.5 times.

Russia has consistently condemned Western arms deliveries to Ukraine, arguing that they only prolong the conflict without affecting its ultimate outcome.

Kremlin open to negotiations

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov reiterated on Tuesday that Russia wants to achieve its goals "through political and diplomatic means" and that the country remains "completely open to a negotiation process". At the same time, Moscow accuses Kiev of wanting to continue the fighting, backed by its Western allies.

Russia has also accused the EU and Britain of obstructing ongoing peace efforts.

American academics propose nuclear weapons for US allies

Published November 24, 2025 – By Editorial staff
Professors Mark Raymond (left) and Moritz Graefrath write in a joint opinion piece that US allies should be allowed to acquire their own nuclear arsenals.

The American journal Foreign Affairs has published a debate article by two professors at the University of Oklahoma that challenges prevailing security policy principles. The professors suggest that the United States' closest allies should consider acquiring nuclear weapons themselves.

The article, authored by professors Moritz S. Graefrath and Mark A. Raymond, has received extensive international attention and sparked controversy, though no Western country has yet officially endorsed the proposal.

In the widely discussed text, the duo argues that countries such as Canada, Germany, and Japan have both the technical capacity and security interests to develop nuclear weapons themselves – thereby reducing their dependence on US military protection.

The article states that "America’s allies should go nuclear. Selective proliferation will strengthen the global order, not end it".

The text highlights that these countries already participate in advanced military cooperation with the US and have access to the resources required for developing nuclear weapons.

The authors continue: "What the three allies would need – and what the United States can and should provide – is public support and diplomatic cover for their transition to becoming nuclear-armed states, as well as technical and doctrinal guidance to ensure robust command and control safeguards".

The debate surrounding the article has quickly gained momentum, and so far none of the countries mentioned in the text have officially endorsed the proposal, instead maintaining strong support for international disarmament and the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

Critical reactions

Germany, for example, based on official statements, policy decisions and debate contributions, stands firm in its policy against nuclear proliferation and emphasizes that the country has no plans to change this principle.

Government representatives have expressed that Germany's position continues to support international disarmament agreements and that they reject all proposals to develop their own nuclear weapons.

Meanwhile, American and European experts have criticized the authors' reasoning as risky and have warned that such a development could trigger a new global arms race.

The background to the Foreign Affairs article is the increased geopolitically tense situation, where US commitments regarding the so-called nuclear umbrella are being questioned in several places in Europe and Asia.

Several European leaders have recently requested discussions about independent deterrence and nuclear weapons cooperation within NATO.

The US and other nuclear powers have so far rejected such discussions, continuing to insist on diplomacy and disarmament as the fundamental strategy.